Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fire socks!

After my Chicago sock fiasco I decided that I actually really enjoy knitting socks! They are small enough to try difficult stitch patterns on without totally stressing yourself out.

When we were in Lexington (super chill city btw) we visited a yarn store called Magpie Yarn. It turns out that we had celebrated St Patricks Day just a few doors down at a local eatery. I loved it as soon as we walked in because the yarn is arranged by color, so I was greeted with a wonderful rainbow of yarn.

I checked out the sale bin and found nothing of interest so I moved on to the nearest section, it happened to be the reds and oranges. I picked up a skein of Shi Bui 100% merino wool in a very slightly variegated rust/orange color. This was the official yarn of my next project.

I am in general very drawn to pretty pictures. This ever so scientific method was how I chose the pattern for my fire socks (as I decided to call them because the color reminds me of fire). It is a pattern by SockPixie called Go With The Flow Socks. Funny part was that the pattern had a very poor flow, the instructions were all out of order and if you hadn't made a sock before you'd probably go nuts....or end up with a very odd looking blob of knitting.

The cool thing about is pattern is it is essentially just ribbing that is offset so once you get started the actual knitting of it is very simple. This is great for knitting in the dark during our shows! Overall the stitch pattern and slight variation in color of the yarn makes for a great look of depth and complexity when it is in fact quite simple.

Anyhow, here's the finished project! I love it!









We took the pictures outside our hotel on some old picnic tables they had there. I think we confused everyone going in and out. I was standing on the table trying to take pictures of my feet then Johnny came out with his tripod to take pictures in an otherwise fairly non picturesque area, haha oh the lives we live :)

No comments:

Post a Comment