Friday, April 15, 2011

Altered Couture attempt 1

I really should check labels more carefully before buying clothing. I have this nasty habit of finding things that fit perfectly when I buy them and after one wash appear to have been made for a small child.

Here is an example of one such item of clothing I purchased this past fall and have been carrying with me since. Perhaps the pattern was just so alluring that I couldn't force myself to part with it and perhaps I kept it with the hopes that it would eventually just grow back to it's original size; either way I still had it and it was entirely useless to me in it's shrunken form.


I decided to try turning it into something entirely different. And if it didn't work, oh well, I couldn't use it in it's current state anyway. So on came the inspiration and out came the scissors!

I decided that I liked the pin tucks so I would try and keep that part.


I also liked the lace edges (no huge surprise, since my name is Lacie) so those would need to stay too.



I began by removing the sleeves and collar...


Then I cut the whole thing in half and turned the bottom half around (so the back was now in front). Then I reattached it, so now it buttons up in the back.

Next I turned under the edges of the collar to make a wide V neckline and attached straps made from the fabric of the sleeves.

For the back, I used one of the sleeve cuffs to make a finished edge at the top and to add a couple more buttons for a better fit.

To finish it off I added a small a piece to connect the back to the side under the arm and connected the straps to the back out the garment.

Here it is! It's a bit wrinkled from wearing it all day but you get the idea...




And the back...(it's not crooked, my shoulders were)




Because I primarily used pieces with finished edges and with buttons already attached I didn't really have much finishing work at all!

I was inspired to attempt this alteration by a blog called www.newdressaday.com.....you should definitely check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Lacie, I absolutely love this blouse. You are so freakin creative, I'm a little jealous hehe :) <3

    ReplyDelete