Monday, February 21, 2011

Why I have trouble finishing thi...

I think that because I enjoy the process of creating so much I find myself getting very near the end of projects and then stopping, putting them aside and starting something new. I don't ever want it to be over. Sometimes I just get bored or better yet I come up with some other incredibly brilliant idea that has to be started NOW! It's just that fantastic!

Upon realizing this annoying tendency in myself I decided a few weeks ago to go through all of my unfinished projects and finish them. How did I manage that you ask? I decided to make myself finish at least two projects before starting a new one.

This week the project to be finished was a sock I had started for Johnny just before Christmas. I started it in hopes of finishing it by Christmas but ended up getting caught finishing all the other presents first, it didn't get finished and found it's way to the bottom of my pile of unfinished things. Until this week.

I thought myself clever for choosing to finish this project because it's just a little sock and it was already half finished. How long could it possibly take me?

Just as I had suspected it took only a day or so. But then as I gleefully reached for my next project Johnny stopped me and moaned something to the effect of, you're not finished yet! I was. I had finished the sock. Finally he convinced me that I had to make the other sock before I was truly done.

So I cast on a new sock just as the week started and finished it today. And now I'm done! Really! So I have officially created two pairs of socks, neither pair for my self, we'll have to remedy that sometime soon. Here is the work in progress 


and the finished pieces!




Note: I realize this is a very simple somewhat boring pattern. But hey I'd rather make boring socks he'll wear instead of fantastically interesting socks he'd never think of wearing :)

2 comments:

  1. Next time I see you I will bribe you with delicious pastries in return for a sock knitting lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have trouble finis--
    Ha. I have the same problem with my writing. I'll have an awesome idea and write a dozen pages and stop. It's really frustrating, especially with writer's block.

    Those socks look really warm and...comfortable. I could use a pair if Gunnison gets any colder.

    Good luck in your endeavors!

    ~Adam

    ReplyDelete