Sunday, February 6, 2011

I finally made it!!

     I am officially a "real" knitter! And by that I mean I have just finished my first sweater!
Well technically it's not my first sweater attempt. The real #1 ended up being for short torsoed people...a category which I do not fall into. So I took it apart and this last week tried again.

     I have been very busy recently making different styles of bags and purses but when we were in Manalapan, NJ last week I stumbled upon a nice little shop called Knit One Purl Two. I looked around inside and soon found myself siting at the table flipping through a copy of KNITSCENE Spring 2007. It didn't take me long to come across a lovely short sleeve sweater called Butterfly. It called for 8 (50oz) skeins of bamboo yarn so I decided to check the sale rack to see if by any slim chance she had bamboo on sale. Much to my delight the owner of the shop puts all yarns that have been discontinued by the manufacturer directly on the sale rack, no matter how much of it she has left. I was able to purchase an unopened bag of ten skeins of bamboo yarn for the AMAZING price of $19!!!

     Butterfly is a very simple, short sleeved sweater that is knit half in the round and half flat. The only shaping work is that for the button placket in the front. Something new that I had never tried before was crocheting the edges so make a it lay a bit nicer and at a subdued border.

     Now, I was at that time working on three other projects so I decided to wait to start the sweater. But excitement and impatience got a hold of me and I ended up starting the next day! I started knitting on Wednesday and finished everything including weaving in the ends The following Friday(9 days). Not bad if I do say!

      The best part is that bamboo is incredibly soft and antimicrobial so it'll be perfect for hot summer days and works great for layering now! Here is a picture of the completed project :


Happy February everyone!

2 comments:

  1. awwwesome! i still havent finished the scarf i started for Ryan... and now the weather is too warm to even think of wearing it :/ i can't believe it took you 3 days, good job sis :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm impressed. I used to knit but never took on a project like that. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete