Sunday, February 27, 2011

"I quit"....a year long challenge

Buying clothing that is, at least for now.

Here's why;
Like most people in the western world I have too much clothes that I care too little about. How? All of the clothing I own fits into a duffle bag(very snugly but I can still zip it with a little muscle). Which I think is a great accomplishment for myself but still, I care very little about the clothing I have. I find myself searching all the time for something newer and more interesting.

I was reading an old book not too long ago called The Secret Of Distinctive Dress, it was written in 1915 but still hold some valuable truths. I highly recommend reading it! Anyway, it discusses the idea that even though fashions are constantly changing, you don't need to go buy an entirely new wardrobe every other month. If you choose a few simple pieces that are easily and simply updated you can always be dressed in style without spending a small fortune.

The challenge is this:
1. I will not buy new clothing for a year, I will occasionally buy used clothing to remake
2. I will work on remaking clothing I already own and create new pieces that are classic and timeless while also wearable and functional.
3. Research styles that are flattering to my body type.
4. Improve garment making technique by studying and participating in The Knitting Guild Association's hand knitting masters program, textile design courses and textile technique classes online and elsewhere.


What I hope to achieve:
1. An increased connection with and appreciation for my clothing.
2. Improved technique and design skills
3. A creative outlet and challenge artistically and creatively.
4. A wardrobe that is well made and fits correctly.


I will be posting about my progress here! If you'd like to join me for part of or all of this challenge let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Except for shoes, socks, and undies, it has been over a year since I have bought any "new" clothing. I wish I had a sewing machine and the skills to put it to use on some thrift store clothes, but alas, I do not. So I'm limited to finding the few gems that fit, AND are in decent shape, AND I find aesthetically pleasing. That's tough. Lately I've been a real sucker for interesting textiles like wool and cashmere. I will admit to probably having more clothes than I need, but, like you I am also always on the lookout for "more interesting" things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I am a sucker for cashmere! You should check out newdressaday.com, the girl only bought dresses (hideous nasty dresses) for a dollar each and would remake them into awesome cute ones each day. Gotta love thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen it! It very much makes me wish for sewing lessons so I could at least aspire to her level of awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete