Monday, July 4, 2011

Knitting for necessity...."Naomi" pirouette socks

Sometimes I design for fun, sometimes to make something I can't find at a store and sometimes I design because I just really need something.

This week it was the later. When I visited The Studio a couple weeks ago I was invited to drop into classes over the summer. I decided to attend the last day of the summer intensive they were putting on. Unfortunately none of my dance attire or shoes are here in CO. I had some yoga pants and a tank top I could use but was still severely lacking in the shoe department.

Certain types of dance don't require shoes but since I didn't know what they would be teaching on the day I dropped in I figured I should probably bring some just in case we were doing ballet or anything that involved turning. I hadn't danced for about 2 years so I figured I'd have enough trouble and didn't need to add the problem of my feet sticking and not being able to turn.

I decided to make myself some pirouette socks. A pirouette sock is a little sock that just covers the toes and ball of the foot. As the name suggest, they exist to assist with turning and any motion that requires sliding your foot across the ground.

I didn't have a pattern so I had to come up with one. I checked out my stash and found about 3/4 of a ball of sock yarn, that'd work. I then experimented with a couple different styles and after a couple tries found one that would work. I needed something that was tight enough to stay on while turning and wide enough to accommodate my toes when they are spread apart (usually while turning or balancing). This is the pattern I came up with. It is essentially just a cuff and a toe so it works up very quickly. This would be a great gift for any dancers in your life! Enjoy!


'Naomi' Pirouette Socks Pattern

One size- adjust size by casting on in multiples of two

Materials
50 yards superwash sock yarn approx. (I just used some leftovers I had in my stash)

(5) Size US 1 dpns or size to obtain gauge
three stitch markers
Darning needle
20in of 1/4 in elastic

Gauge:
9sts and 12 rows equals 1" in stockinette

Abbreviations
k- knit
P- purl
CO- cast on
K2tog- knit two stitches together
Ssk- slip, slip, knit
Sts- stitches
PM- place marker

Instructions

CO 64 sts, divide sts evenly among 4 dpns. Join for working in the round being careful not to twist the sts. PM for beginning of round.

*K 1, P 1; repeat from star until knitting measures 3/4in

Next row begin working in stockinette (since we are in the round that means you'll need to knit all rows). Continue until sock measures 3 3/4in.

K 16, PM, k 32, PM, K 16

Decrease round:
K to three sts before marker, k2tog, k1, slip marker, k1, ssk, k to three sts before marker, k2tog, k1, slip marker, k1, ssk, k to end

Repeat decrease round until 16 sts remain.

Remove markers and close toe with kitchner stitch.

the measure the correct length stretch the elastic around your foot so it is a little tight, this will help keep the sock on during the action. Let it overlap about a quarter of an inch and cut. Sew the elastic where it overlaps and then into the ribbed section of the sock, make sure to sew it down in multiple locations around the cuff so it wont slip out.






I chose to call this pattern the 'Naomi' Pirouette Sock because for a few years I danced with a wonderful young lady and beautiful dancer named Naomi. Naomi and I lived near each other so we rode to and from classes together for a few years. Needless to say we had all sorts of adventures in that time. Now whenever I remember the time I spent dancing for Mary Constantine- Nelson I always think of Naomi. Special thanks to Naomi for being my model!

No comments:

Post a Comment