Saturday, April 9, 2011

Oh the irony...

A couple posts ago I mentioned I was in Chicago for a hair show. A couple days after getting back on the road I received a picture text message from one of the friends I had stayed with...it was a beautiful blue and white, really warm looking sock. In fact it was my sock that I had left in Chicago. Sad day.

To most people losing a sock is no big deal. But I had exactly 7 pairs of socks, one for each day. This message meant that I would in fact need to get another pair of socks. Ok, so what's the big deal!?

As a part of my year long challenge I am not buying any clothing, including socks. That left me with a couple options, sew some (hmmm not likely)or knit some. Because I had less than a week before I would run out of socks and because I definitely didn't want to have to do extra laundry I became very determined to make some socks. Nothing like necessity to push you forward!

As long as I was going to be making socks I decided to design a little
something of my own. I wanted something a bit girly at the top but utilitarian at the base (inside the shoe where no one sees). I had on hand some dark grey merino/bamboo in the proper weight that I fancied would be super soft on the feet.

Because we had a ton of shows that week and not very much driving I found myself with a wonderful new pair of socks a mere 3 days later!

Here's what they look like,




I have decided to call the pattern "Shiloh"








I know you can't see the socks that well in this picture but I needed a reason to take a picture of this awesome wall!




And this was the super picturesque rope bridge we found for our little sock shoot! It is located at Camp Nathaniel where I met a very sweet girl named Shiloh, after whom I named this pattern




Ironically enough, this weekend we find ourselves in none other than Chicago! Which also means I got the original blue and white socks back. Haha c'est la vie!

Bon week-end mes Ami!

1 comment:

  1. I love the new socks!! You are so talented cuz! And the photos are awesome too!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete